2018 is the year for Living Healthy and Integrative Functional Medicine! I am so excited about this new year and the incredible information that I am going to share about Integrative Functional Medicine. I am finished with writing an article for Today's Dietitian that discuss about Complementary Alternative Medicine and hopefully will be published in 2018. I am also very excited about sharing my knowledge about Essential Oils which I am going to be doing a webinar in March with Today's Dietitian and I have collaborate with Young Living as a distributor. Please check out their website https://yl.pe/5tqj for the excellent essential oils and wellness products.
There are so many new topics that Living Healthy will be covering this year for Integrative Functional Medicine. This year, in the Living Healthy Movement Newsletter ever wonder what type of anti-inflammatory foods should you add to your meal plan? This month Living Healthy M...
Welcome to the Living Healthy Show! In this Living Healthy Moment episode that Denine Rogers MS, RDN, LD, FAND gives enlightening knowledge about Raspberries! Click the You-tube link above and check out the delicious Raspberries Recipe below from Eating Well - Apricot-Raspberry Flaxseed Crisp Recipe. So, watch, learn and enjoy!
Let me know your comments, suggestions and thoughts about the Living Healthy Show! The purpose of the Living Healthy Show is for all of us to educate, inform and promote a discussion about what ways that we can start Living Healthy!!
Happy New Year Everyone! What a year 2016 was! I had the busy and challenging 2016 year and I am looking forward to 2017.
I have accomplish my dream goal of completing my Masters Degree of Complementary Alternative Medicine with a Graduate Certificate in Herbal Medicine at American College of Health Science! I was also able to graduate with Honors and very excited to add everything I learned into my business! YAY! My business Living Healthy is starting to pick up with business and excellent opportunities are opening up. Also in 2016, I had family health challenges that has push me my faith and confidence to another level.
Since going through these things and more, I decided to take my change focus and outlook for 2017.
My new motto is:
"It Takes One Smile to Make a Dark Day Seem Brighter! "
We all go through alots challenges, setbacks and disappointments but it is how we response and react is to the situation is going to get us through it. That is why I do not...
Hypertension happens when there is an abnormal elevated pressure and the heart must work harder to pump an adequate amount of blood to all the tissues of the body. The treatment is to lower the blood pressure to less than 140 systolic and less than 90 diastolic for most people. Below are three examples of natural support options to lower blood pressure.
It is important to follow a strict salt-free diet which is the essential for lowering blood pressure. Start doing this by reading the food labels and look for the serving size amount then the milligrams of sodium. It depends on the amount of sodium restriction that the doctor wants client to have and it can range from 2,300 mgs to 1,000 mgs per day. A low sodium product is 300 mgs and under based on the serving size amount. Also read the ingredient section of the food label and beware for items that states salt, soda, sodium, sodium bicarbonate, monosodium glutamate. You...
As you probably know that I love cooking with herbs and that I believe in the power of healing with herbs. But I notice that a lots of people do not like to cook with herbs because they are not sure how to cook with them or that they are afraid that they will not have the right tasty combination to add to their meal. I can understand how they feel because I was one who was only a salt and pepper type of cook. Once I was able to overcome my fears of cooking with herbs, I started to rely on them more and use salt and pepper less. For those who want to take this cooking herbal adventure, let me share with you five tips that can help you to start making herbs as part of your culinary repertoire.
5 Tips Cooking with Herbs
1. Familiarize yourself with the most commonly used herbs and spices and how they are typically incorporated into various international cuisines. Learning the seasonings and other ingredients they're combined with in these cuisines makes a good starti...
I am again out on the road and this time I am at Hollywood Beach, Florida to work for the Black Enterprises - Women of Power Summit. I had a chance to work as a nutritional consultant for Abbott Corporation who was a sponsor at this event. I really enjoy this conference because it give women a chance to network with positive like minded women. The speakers at this summit were Actress Vanessa Williams and Alfre Woodard who received Legacy Awards and Debra L. Lee, chairman and CEO of BET Networks. To see the videos of these talks click here
So excited to see all of these incredible women and hearing them speech but the best thing I had the chance to do at this trip was the sunrise beach yoga. Hearing the soothing sounds of the waves splashing onto the shore., the sand stuck on my feet and seeing the seagulls flying around made me feel at peace and grateful for being there. Our excel...
I always love to travel and discover what is new in every location that I visit even if it is my backyard. I had the priviledge of going to a nature cultural hike with the Keeping It Wild group at the local state park called Sweetwater Park. Keeping It Wild (http://keepingitwild.org/) is quote "was created in 2005 by several Atlanta citizen-advocates who perceived the need to bring together members of diverse conservation communities in order to promote better stewardship for the natural lands in our area." A quote from the Keeping It Wild website states "We promote the enjoyment of the outdoors by overcoming barriers and providing opportunities for people from diverse backgrounds, interests and experience levels to explore our natural environment in new and exciting ways. We connect diverse individuals and families to the land and each other by encouraging hands-on experiences through hikes, outings, educational opportunities and community-building partnerships." I had a chan...
Continuing to Savor the Flavor of Eating Right this 2016 National Nutrition Month! Here are the last 8 Healthy Tips for 2016! #NationalNutritionMonth
9. Get Cooking Preparing foods at home can be healthy, rewarding and cost-effective. Resolve to learn some cooking and kitchen basics, like how to dice an onion or cook dried beans. The collection of How do I… videos at www.eatright.org/howdoi will get you started.
10. Dine Out without Ditching Your Goals. You can eat out and stick to your healthy eating plan! The key is to plan ahead, ask questions and choose foods carefully. Compare nutrition information, if available, and look for healthier options that are grilled, baked, broiled or steamed.
11. Enact Family Meal Time. Plan to eat as a family at least a few times each week. Set a regular mealtime. Turn off the TV, phones and other electronic devices to encourage mealtime talk. Get kids involved in meal planning and cooking and use this time to teach them about goo...
The celebration of National Nutrition Month 2016 continues with the Academy of Nutrition Dietetics - 16 Healthy Tips for 2016 in order to Savor the Flavor of Eating Right! Let us start the count down now! #NationalNutritionMonth
1. Eat Breakfast Start your morning with a healthy breakfast that includes lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Try making a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, low-fat cheese, salsa and a whole wheat tortilla or a parfait with low-fat plain yogurt, fruit and whole grain cereal.
2. Make Half Your Plate Fruits and Vegetables. Fruits and veggies add color, flavor and texture plus vitamins, minerals and fiber to your plate. Make 2 cups of fruit and 2 ½ cups of vegetables your daily goal. Experiment with different types, including fresh, frozen and canned.
3. Watch Portion Sizes. Get out the measuring cups and see how close your portions are to the recommended serving size. Use half your plate for fruits and vegetables and the other half fo...
National Nutrition Month is finally here and this year theme is Savor the Flavor of Eating Right! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics theme encourages everyone to take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the pleasures, great flavors and social experiences food can add to our lives. #NationalNutritionMonth
So how can we Savor the Flavor of Eating Right? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics explains below:
1. How, when, why and where we eat are just as important as what we eat. Making sure to enjoy the sight, sounds, memories and interactions associated with eating are essential to developing an overall healthy eating plan.
2. Develop a mindful eating pattern that includes nutritious and flavorful foods, while also taking the time to enjoy everything that a healthful and tasty meal brings with it. That's the best way to savor the flavor of eating right!
3. It is possible to enjoy the taste and flavor of food while still maintaining a healthy diet...