On April 22nd, 2018 is Earth Day which is the day of making priority positive changes for the earth. The Earth Day Network (https://www.earthday.org/about/) organization for this Earth Day 2018 will focus on mobilizing the world to End Plastic Pollution, including creating support for a global effort to eliminate single-use plastics along with global regulation for the disposal of plastics. Earth Day Network will educate millions of people about the health and other risks associated with the use and disposal of plastics, including pollution of our oceans, water, and wildlife, and about the growing body of evidence that decomposing plastics are creating serious global problems.
It is so important to get your local communities and governments to engage to end plastic pollution. Here are 10 earth day tips that you can do from the Earth Day Network:
1. Join Earth Day Network’s campaign to End Plastic Pollution.
2. Reduce your carbon footprint and take our Carbon Footprint Quiz.
3. Plant a tree or donate a tree through our Canopy Project.
4. Join a local park, river or beach clean-up.
5. Recycle paper, plastic and glass. Reduce your garbage by 10% and your carbon footprint by 1,200 pounds a year.
6. Convince your school district or office building to choose reusable utensils, trays, and dishes in the cafeteria.
7. Use reusable bottles for water, and reusable mugs for coffee.
8. Bring reusable bags when you shop.
9. Pack your lunch in a reusable bag.
7. Grow your own organic garden, or join a farm-share group.
8. Volunteer for a local environmental group and/or make a donation.
9. Stop using disposable plastics, especially single-use plastics like bottles, bags and straws.
10. Buy local food to reduce the distance from farm to fork. Buy straight from the farm, frequent your local farmers’ market, or join a local food co-op.
So gather neighbors, friends and family to participate in doing this Earth Day event and make it a daily activity. Mother Earth Will Love You!